In a time of social media evolution and revolution, public relations professionals have a unique opportunity to reinvent themselves to ultimately deliver better results. The strategy: using social media-flavored PR to influence the search marketing ecosystem.
First, let’s look at today’s journalist, one of the PR professional’s primary targets. According to a recent survey by TEKGROUP International:
- More than 77 percent of journalists think it’s important to be able to access a company’s social media networks from its online newsroom.
- 45 percent of reporters say they use a corporate blog when researching a story.
- 25 percent of journalists visit a company’s Facebook Page (up 10 percent from a year ago).
- 40 percent are looking to receive news or updates via Twitter.
- Almost 99 percent of journalists expect a company to have an online newsroom, and 75 percent said they prefer it to be organized by news category.
- 95 percent want access to photos, company background, and product information within the online newsroom. Sixty-five percent want digital assets and 53 percent consider video and audio files useful.
Here are 10 ways a business can capitalize on the social PR opportunity right now.
1. Give Your Press Release, Posts & Tweets an SEO Makeover!
Like in website writing, press releases and all social media content should be optimized with keywords and links.
2. Think and Write Like a Reporter
The best results come when content is delivered in a journalistic style. Only include important information that is most relevant to the audience. Forget the fluff and keep it to the point.
3. Research and Optimize Like an SEO Pro
Keyword research is necessary when writing for PR and social media. Sometimes a quick way to find out what works best is to compare notes with the PPC campaign and apply those best performing keywords to the PR and social media efforts.